20 September 2008

Story #8: Goodbyes

Why do people always stare at bad things?  Car accidents, bloody paper towels on sidewalks (yes, I'm serious), people crying and hugging as they say goodbye...  

K left today.  She is currently driving cross-country in a stuffed car to Providence, Rhode Island.  The last time I saw her car that stuffed was 2 years ago when she moved in, the first day I ever met her.  Today before she left, we went to breakfast, and she ran across the street to make a deposit at the bank.  I told A, her boyfriend, my other roommate, that I hoped she didn't cry because then I would lose it.  Well, we were both fine until the sidewalk, outside her packed car.  Then we both started crying.  And this man in an Oregon Ducks shirt, holding a giant camera, just kept staring at us.  I don't think I saw him ever turn away, although I clearly wasn't watching him the entire time.

So when I went to my car with my friend M, we discussed this staring man and how weird it was that he was watching my roommate and I cry on the sidewalk.  And then I made my friend take a picture of a bloody paper towel.  I am obviously a hypocrite.

No comments: