16 April 2009

This made me cry

So maybe this just reveals that I am quick to get teary eyed, but I was seriously choked up watching this clip of Britain's Got Talent. This 47-year-old overweight woman with no make-up and an "old lady" haircut was expected to be laughed off the stage, but instead everyone was in awe. It probably didn't help my attempts to remain composed that she chose to sing one of the biggest tear-jerker songs from Les Miserables. But for me, the kicker is this - this woman that everyone in the audience wanted to ridicule purely based on her appearance is actually appreciating her talent for what it is - and not demanding the size 0 body to go with it. At least so far. I really hope they don't try to pile on the make-up and hair products to push her into whatever we have decided is an appropriate look for a performer. I hope we can really just appreciate someone's voice without attempts at making it fit our definition of beauty.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I cry at everything but I didn't cry at this one. I did enjoy it though. I especially loved Simon Cowell's reactions. He is usually so controlled and poker-faced - but he couldn't help himself during this performance. It was lovely.

amandamjorgenson said...

I cried when I saw this too...