15 April 2009

Kayak Across the Pacific Ocean

Apparently I can kayak from NW Washington to Honolulu in just over 14 days. Seriously. Google said so. Granted, I'm not sure that Google knows my physical capabilities or my skill level at kayaking on the open sea - or in any water, for that matter. Does that time estimate take into account navigation errors that will almost definitely occur when there are no points of reference to use for navigation purposes? Does my kayak come with GPS? And what if I would rather go via canoe? How does that change the time estimate?

This is all because we wanted to know how many miles it was to Honolulu from Eugene, and Google Maps told us. Via kayak. Also, you cannot kayak directly from Oregon. You must first drive to Washington. Out of curiosity, I checked the directions from LA. I mean, maybe I will want to go to Honolulu from LA... Still takes me through Washington.... So if I'm gonna do this, I should probably do it soon. Before I move. Otherwise, that's kind of a long drive.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You think that's bad? I asked google how to get from Providence to Honolulu and it told me that I had to drive all the way to Washington AND THEN get into a damned kayak. Geesh. What's even more funny? It thinks I can do all of this in 16 days. I'd like to hear their explanation when they get pulled over for speeding ACROSS THE COUNTRY... "Officer, I'm in a slight hurry to get to Washington... so that I can Kayak to Honolulu."