01 April 2009

Music

I'm at a weird stand-still with my dissertation, where I'm waiting for a response from my advisor who is currently in New Zealand, so I figured I would use this rare free time to update the blog.

So music I am currently listening to (bolded items I like more than the others - there are a lot of bolded items in this list - and not being bolded does not, in this case, mean I hated it, although I might...):
  • Akron/Family - Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free: I really like this album. Well, all except for the song "MBF." What the heck is that? I skip it every time, after first cringing in pain. The rest is great. I love the song "River."
  • Azeda Booth - Tubtrek EP: This is a free EP available online. It's pretty good - sounds like usual Azeda Booth, so fans won't be disappointed.
  • Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains: Pitchfork loved this. I have no idea why. I am close to deleting it cause if I have iTunes on shuffle it hurts my ears. Actually, I take that back. The songs actually trick me - and some start out beautiful and then take painful turns in the middle. It's a love/hate relationship, I suppose.
  • Death Cab for Cutie - Open Doors EP: This is stuff that apparently didn't make the cut for their last full length album, Narrow Stairs. I was totally bored by that album, so I wasn't expecting much from this EP. Bottom line? They should have used this stuff instead. I like the EP much better than the full length.
  • The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love: This is supposed to be a musical/play/opera sort of thing, with different vocalists playing different characters. Some parts are nice, but the refrain where they sing "The hazards of love" gets old after a while and just feels a little over-dramatic.
  • Fever Ray - S/T: This is the woman from The Knife. Its pretty electronic and her voice has been manipulated a bit, but I still like it. If you like The Knife, you'll probably like it. If you only liked "Heartbeats" by The Knife, you may or may not like this.
  • Fol Chen - Part I: John Shade, Your Fortune's Made: I haven't heard this album enough to really have a full opinion, but I love the song, "Please, John, You're Killing Me."
  • Jonathan Johansson - En Hand i Himlen: This guy is Swedish, which almost always means good things for me. He does a version of Tears for Fears' "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" in Swedish. It is fabulous. The other music is nice, too. Pretty vocals over slightly 80s style synths.
  • The Leisure Society - The Sleeper: Sometimes this bores me. Other times, I think it's great. Not sure what that means, except maybe I'm moody? I don't really feel moody, so it probably means that this is one of those bands who puts out decent stuff, but maybe doesn't have long-lasting stay-power. At least to stay in my most-listened-to-albums...
  • Metric - Fantasies: I need to give this more listens, but there are a few standout, good songs on it so far, like "Help, I'm Alive" and "Sick Muse."
  • Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: This is great, but I have liked Phoenix for a while now. This is nothing new or unusual, so if you like old Phoenix, you will probably like this, and vice versa.
  • Psapp - The Camel's Back: Not as good as their last release, but it has been growing on me. Standout tracks: "The Monster Song" and "Fickle Ghost."
  • Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years: Good mix of stuff on this album. "Inaugural Trams" comes complete with a German rap by one of the Franz Ferdinand guys.
  • Venice is Sinking - Azar: Pretty dream pop. Which I'm usually a sucker for. I would probably put it in the same category as The Leisure Society, though, in that I'll probably listen for a while, then forget about them later on. Or perhaps they will surprise me. My favorite track is "Wetlands Dancehall."
  • Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!: Old Yeah Yeah Yeahs was hit-or-miss for me. I loved "Gold Lion" and "Maps," but the other songs were only so-so. This album, though, is great. I've listened straight through quite a few times without need to skip, which is saying something for me, as I have little patience for annoying or boring songs.

No comments: