21 August 2011

Upholstery

I have had a hand-me-down chair and ottoman since I graduated college that I love - but not for looks. It rocks. Literally, like a rocking chair, but not. It's a regular armchair, but on a base that lets it spin and rock. I love it. But it was in a fabric that was old and faded and honestly just ugly. Sort of a salmon-color plaid.

So last April, I found a fabric that I liked and started making the plans to have it reupholstered. Almost 3 weeks ago, they came to pick it up and said it would take a couple of weeks. This was after a couple of months (months!) of calling and leaving messages in order to schedule the pick-up. Do people not need work anymore that they can just ignore someone calling and begging for their business? I called a couple of places for this reason - and no one was calling me back.

Anyway, these guys had great reviews on Yelp - all 4s and 5s, nothing lower. So I went with it. They picked it up, and then called to let me know that they would drop it off today. So he comes, and he's rolling it toward the front door of my apartment building, and it looks yellow. Maybe that's just tinted plastic wrap it's in? Uh, no, it's in clear plastic...it's been upholstered in BRIGHT yellow fabric. Not the woven black and white that I picked out. "uh, um...that's not my fabric. I gave you black and white fabric." "uh, um, really? uh...oh, black and white woven together...right...uh..." The "oh-shit" look on his face was actually I think more related to the fact that he had used someone else's fabric on my chair than the fact that he did not have mine done correctly. He said that he had the fabric and knew what it was and there had been some mix up with fabric bolts. He would have it done first thing - asap...whatever that means.

If he had used my fabric on something else, I would be pissed. At least for now it's just a slight delay in getting my chair back. Cross your fingers that it all works out in the end!

No comments: