17 October 2010

Jonsi's Live Performance - 17 October 2010, The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA

I can't even call this a concert. It wasn't. I've seen some really great concerts, some of them quite recently, but this doesn't even compare. Not because it was so much better, but it was just different. It was an experience. An emotionally intense experience that has lasted for at least an hour since I left the theatre.

I kept meaning to write reviews of shows here, but I'd get home, feel tired, go to bed, and then the recollections would fade, making it tough to write. But tonight. I'm writing. Mostly because I can't get this show out of my head.

My view during the show was honestly not that great. I had floor tickets and ended up behind tall people. Mix that with the fact that Jonsi often leans over (bends over, really) when he sings, and I basically had little to no view of the actual musicians. I had occasional flashes of them - mostly Jonsi's head when standing and the drummer. But that didn't really matter. Jonsi worked with a team of visual artists to create an accompanying visual show to go with the music. My first thought when I heard of this was, "yeah, I see A/V stuff at shows all the time. What's the big deal?" Last week at Arcade Fire, they had visuals that went with their songs. It's cool, but it doesn't really set Jonsi apart from others. Wow, was I wrong.

The visuals for the Jonsi show are so stunningly beautiful. Animals and flowers and birds and rain and storms - manipulated nature scenes, but like I've never seen them before. Further, the imagery is so incredibly well matched to the songs. The visuals seemed to intensify every emotion evoked by the music and vice versa. The use of color and light was perfect. A friend of mine at the show cried, and I was on the verge of tears. My head and my heart just felt so full of.....something I can't explain in words.

I had never noticed the drums in Jonsi's songs quite like I did tonight. They are phenomenal, and I was happy to have a good view of the drums throughout the show. Jonsi's voice is so intense, and the richness of the music as a whole was so beautiful.

The show was streamed live by NPR tonight, and they are replaying it tomorrow (Monday), as well. I will be watching it again just so that I have the chance to experience it all over again. I highly recommend it to others, as well. And of course, if he is playing a show in or around where you live, please go. You will not regret it.

No comments: