21 January 2010

Pitchfork is wrong

Pitchfork just reviewed Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Up From Below. They are wrong. They gave it a 4.1 and basically said it was boring. It reads mostly as a review/judgement on the lead singer Alex Ebert for changing from a punk band to this. The reviewer didn't like Ima Robot (Ebert's former band) and started the review already hating this album for the basis under which it came about.

Well, boo. This is why my music "reviews" don't give much backstory. I just listen to music and either like it or don't. Cause when you get into the "he used to do poor 'jerk-punk' and now he's a hippy" sorts of things, it taints otherwise great and fun music. Really that's why I love Edward Sharpe. It's music that makes me feel good and happy, and their live sets makes me want to be dancing on stage with them. I don't care what was when it comes to music. I just care what is.

(And yes, this post was basically a review of a review.)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE- PITCHFORK IS WRONG! And yes, I had to yell because that is how strongly I feel about this. I was horrified of that album review. I'm starting to come around to your 'meh, pitchfork' attitude. Plus that review made the author sound like a total prick. He must be. Or maybe he's been hanging out with that Claire Suddath lady... hehe jk. :)