09 July 2009

Dictation

For the first time, I am working in a hospital. When I have written progress notes for therapy before, I just write them as a word document and print it out for the patient's chart. In my last clinic, I sometimes just hand wrote them. But at the hospital, I now get to dictate. I was nervous at first, thinking it would be incredibly complicated and that to make changes I would have to start the dictation over or edit more after the transcription came through. But no. I learned that since an actual human being transcribes our dictations, we can talk to them like a real person.

When I get good at this, I will hopefully just call in and run through a shpeal about a patient, and be done with it. I like to think that I will bore the transcribers when I get to that point. I mean, their job is to sit there and type what I say - so boring. So in the meantime, I hope I'm entertaining them when I make a complete fool of myself by saying, "um, yeah, I don't really know what I was saying right then. Maybe just cut out that last non-sentence sentence." or in a recent note when I mentioned a couple times that a patient was 15-years-old, and then remembered that her birthday was yesterday, so she was now 16. "Oh crap...that should actually be 16-years-old. I guess that should probably change in the first section, too...and anywhere else I said her age." And that doesn't even touch on the first dictation I did, where I got so lost in the middle of it that I said, "ummmm, hold on......[30 seconds of silence before finally just hanging up]" I have no idea what they'll do with that one, since the transcriptions haven't shown up for me to sign yet.

Until I get better at this, the people doing transcription will think I am either the most entertaining person doing dictation or the most annoying...

2 comments:

Kate said...

When I practiced, a lot of the older attorneys still dictated for their secretaries. Letters mostly but also legal documents at times. It took me FOREVER to get used to it because my brain is so used to composing while looking at a screen and moving my fingers over a keyboard.

For lawyers, I think it is definitely a generational thing. (The office manager at my last firm wasn't convinced that we, as attorneys, did enough of our own "typing" to warrant wasting licenses of Word on us - we generally used WordPerfect if you can believe it but one major client wanted Word docs emailed to them, so when we requested an install of Word we had to convince the office manager that we actually did our own word processing. Insane.)

Once I got used to it, it was okay but always a bit weird. We actually used microcassette recorders though - so we could rewind and erase stuff.

Kristen said...

This is great! I have such a hard time imagining you getting frustrated that it makes me giggle to think of you just hanging up the phone suddenly. You'll be so good at this by the end of your internship you'll be taking Ava to the dog park, grocery shopping, and dictating all at once!