27 December 2008

More Thoughts on the Weather

I have lived in a number of cities in various regions of the United States. Hartford, Kansas City, Nashville, Austin, Eugene... I have known people in each of those cities who have lived in cities/regions where I have not lived. In each of these cities, the ones in which I have lived or the ones where I have known people from, the weather can change dramatically in a matter of a single day. For example, this past week in Kansas City, it went from below freezing temperatures, with snow and ice on the ground, on Christmas, to 68 degrees the day after. Everyone responded with the typical, "gotta love Kansas City weather. it can change on you in no time at all." But the thing is - it is not at all specific to Kansas City. A friend who is home in Ohio right now said the same thing this past week about Cincinnati. My favorite movie of all time, Waiting For Guffman, describes the fictional town of Blaine, Missouri, as a town where, "...if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes..." Everyone thinks that quickly changing weather is something specific to their city/town/state, but it's not. It happens all over.

No comments: