02 February 2010

Agricultural Inspection

I drove home from Las Vegas last night. For those who have never driven into California before, there are agriculture inspection points where they, probably ineffectively, check for fruits and vegetables traveling into the state. I suppose they check big trucks and things more closely than small cars, but all they ever do when I stop is ask, "Do you have any fruits or vegetables with you?" I reply "No" and drive on...

So last night, I stop at the check-point, roll down my window, and hear this:

Balding old man with a beer gut: Am I speaking with Venus?
Me: Ummmmm....no...
BOMwaBG: (laughing to himself about his clever line) You mean you're not a goddess? Heh... Do you have any fruits or vegetables with you?
Me: Nope
BOMwaBG: Alright, well, you should really wear shades because those eyes could knock a guy over... (laughing again at his second clever line - please note that it was 8pm and pitch black outside)
Me: (awkward laugh...then drive away fast)

Also, when driving to Las Vegas, I saw a billboard giving me a phone number to call if I suspect human trafficking. I subsequently spent the rest of my time in Vegas suspicious of every windowless van and unmarked truck. What qualifies as "suspecting" trafficking? Cause I'm pretty sure they didn't want phone calls about all the unmarked trucks in Vegas...

2 comments:

Cayle said...

Ha ha. Creepster, you shouldve report him for being suspicious of trafficking!

Kristen said...

At least he didn't search your trunk and find two open bottles of liquor! He probably would have tried to make you a drink.