20 October 2008

Music Post #6

New music from the last few weeks.  Bold means I like it.  If nothing is written, it means I haven't decided what I think yet...
  • Antony & the Johnsons - Another World: Backed by symphony orchestra.  Beautiful and soft.
  • Brazillian Girls - New York City
  • Cold War Kids - Loyalty to Loyalty
  • Deerhoof - Offend Maggie
  • Gregory + The Hawk - Moenie and Kitchi: Beautiful, melodic.  Sometimes melancholy, sometimes sweet...
  • I'm From Barcelona - Who Killed Harry Houdini?: Big sound - a la Polyphonic Spree.  I think they may even have the same ridiculously large number of "band" members.
  • Lake - Oh, The Places You'll Go: Poppy, peppy. My guilty pleasure.
  • Land of Talk - Some are Lakes: Mixture of light and pretty female vocals with fuller sounds.  Each song is a bit different.
  • Margot & The Nuclear So and So's - Animal!/Not Animal: So I listened to Animal! first and felt a little let-down after loving their Daytrotter Sessions EP so much.  But Not Animal definitely lived up to my expectations.  Much more in line with the Daytrotter stuff.  I feel like there are tons of musical influences and references, but I can't place it really.  Perhaps it is too much of a mix to really pinpoint precisely.
  • Mason Proper - Olly Oxen Free: has a sort of Flaming Lips-esque sound somehow.  Or maybe that was just one song...
  • Jennifer O'Connor - Here With Me
  • Pivot - O Soundtrack My Heart: eh...sounds like something anyone could make on their computer.
  • Marnie Stern - This is it...: Maybe too much heavy guitar for my taste, but other people are loving this.  It's probably good, just not my style.

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Land of Talk is playing Sam Bond's January 23.

cb said...

Grr. First, that is the same day as The Walkmen/Beach House show in PDX. Second, as I said for that show - I am likely going to be in PIttsburgh, PA on that day for an interview. But if I do not get that interview, I am definitely going to one of those shows to cheer myself up about the fact that I won't be interviewing in Pittsburgh...