10 February 2009

Music

More new music. This time almost all of it is good. Some better than others, which I actually think hurt my opinion of things that I would have otherwise been excited about. As always, I might go back and edit this post as I listen to things more.
  • The Bird and the Bee - Ray Guns Are Not the Future: Pretty and nice. At times beautiful. That's about all the commentary that is needed.
  • Charles Spearin - The Happiness Project: I saw some of this performed live at the Broken Social Scene concert last week. It's an interesting concept album where he recorded people talking and then created melody out of the cadence of their speech. Some of them turn out pretty nice.
  • Coconut Records - Davy: I haven't listened enough yet to say much about this. Check back later for more - although I expect to like it since I have liked pretty much anything that Jason Schwartzman has ever done.
  • Great Northern - Remind Me Where The Light Is: This album isn't released until April 21st, but it is fabulous. Full instrumental (mostly guitar-driven) backing sweeping female vocals (with some male vocals thrown in). I think this is much stronger than their past releases.
  • Handsome Furs - Face Control: Nice follow-up to the last album. Still like the old one better, but this one may grow on me. I think the last one did.
  • Loney, Dear - Dear John: This is another one where this release feels stronger than the last one. Harsh Words is probably my favorite on the album, although this is totally subject to change.
  • Nickel Eye - The Time of the Assassins: This is the solo release from the Strokes bassist. I kind of feel like he should stick to his work in The Strokes. I was hopeful for the track where Regina Spektor guests, but her piano pieces was brief and not accompanied by vocals. I thought his Leonard Cohen cover (last track) was decent, but probably just because I love Leonard Cohen.
  • Say Hi - Oohs and Aahs: Pretty good album. I would probably love it more if I hadn't heard it at the same time as all of this other wonderful music.

No comments: