21 January 2017

A Letter to My Son on January 21, 2017


January 21, 2017

Dear Barton,

Today is an historic day. Hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people around the world gathered in cities (and small towns) to vocalize their support of women (and others) in light of the recent election and inauguration of Donald Trump as the President of the United States. You are only seven months old right now, so you are blissfully unaware of this entire situation. But I want you to know about it when you are older so that hopefully you can learn from it and/or also know where your family stood on these issues.

As you have probably figured out from photos, your dad and I voted for Hillary Clinton in the presidential election. We were appalled at the numerous inappropriate statements and actions by Trump, and while we both agreed that Hillary had flaws, she also had plans for strong policies that we agreed with – that helped those less fortunate – and she had years of experience to make this happen, and certainly that she knew what she was talking about. But that is behind us now. Trump was elected because of the way our electoral college system works, but not because of the overall popular vote. This is important because it means that millions of people oppose his views. Today’s movement, though, is not against his presidency, but to be clear that there is no mandate on hate and oppression and discrimination.

Today people around the world marched in solidarity and support for our rights. It was officially called the Women’s March, but it was bigger than that. I want to share my thoughts about it with you for many reasons, but there is a selfish part of this letter in that it lets me process my own feelings about it all as I share it with you. Today I scrolled through my Facebook newsfeed (not sure Facebook or newsfeeds will still exist when you read this, but I’m sure you can look it up) to see images and video from around the world of people coming together, not so much in protest, but in celebration of humanity and in support of diversity, and my heart swelled with love for my country. You and I did not join in the marches today. You see, as a seven month old, you are in much better spirits when you can eat, sleep, and poop in your usual routine. And while we shake that up at times for various activities, I admit I was nervous about finding a place along the march to change your diaper. Seriously, that was a major limiting factor. But I spent the day checking in on the marches via the internet, and hoping that my support would somehow come through. While you nursed, for example, I used my available hand to check in and be sure all was well and that the marches were successful. Part of what people shared from the marches were the reasons they marched, and so despite the lack of physical attendance, I want to note my own reasons for marching in spirit. And I hope you will someday continue this movement (as I’m sure there will always be more work to do) and embrace these values, too.

My first reason is not about women, but about race. I believe with every fiber of my being that black lives matter. I will not be silent when others retort that “all lives matter” because, sure, of course, those are nice words, but that is not what is playing out in our country in actions on a daily basis. Pay attention to actions, Barton, not words. When Donald Trump said in his inauguration speech, “At the center of this movement is a crucial conviction: that a nation exists to serve its citizens” my first concern was about how Trump supporters define “citizens” because assumptions about people’s worth based on the color of their skin seem all too pervasive. You can use words about inclusion, but if actions don’t follow, the words mean nothing. Instead it seems that when people say “all lives matter” they mean “all lives that don’t frighten me based on how they look or what I assume they believe.” So Barton, we must say it loudly and clearly – Black Lives Matter!

The next reason is for religious freedom, which includes those who do not practice religion at all. Barton, you know that your parents were raised in Jewish and Catholic faiths, so you already understand diversity of beliefs and the lack of an absolute truth in this realm. Assumptions about “Godless people” run rampant in various communities, and Trump has proposed the idea of a registry of all Muslims (in his words to protect us from terrorism, as if ordinary Muslims are all potential terrorists – in case I’m not clear yet, they are not). No one should be targeted for their belief system or their lack of a belief system. Your great-grandparents were Holocaust survivors, and I wish you (and I, for that matter) had been able to meet them and hear their stories. Instead we hear their stories passed on through your dad and the rest of his family. My least favorite subject in school was always history. It bored me, and I wasn’t very good at memorizing seemingly mundane facts, like the specific dates of an event, such as the Pearl Harbor attack (December 7, 1941…ok, I actually do remember that one). But history is so important because it allows us to see how things occurred in the past in order to (hopefully) not repeat the mistakes of prior generations. We teach the events in the Holocaust, and your dad and I share the stories of your great-grandparents, so that we can recognize the recurrence of similar actions and stop them. We need to do better at teaching more of our own American history, even (and especially) when it makes our country look bad, so that we do not repeat mistakes like our treatment of Natives or of Japanese-Americans during WWII.

Which leads me to the next reason: immigrants. Many people who support anti-immigration actions that Trump proposed, such as building a giant wall between the US and Mexico, believe that job loss in our country can be at least partially explained by immigrants who have taken our jobs. Job loss is complex, and this idea is just a ridiculous scare tactic. Your dad took a pro-bono case once to help an undocumented immigrant obtain a U Visa (a special visa for victims of crimes who cooperate with law enforcement to prosecute those crimes). He told me stories of this man and his family and their friends, many of whom were also immigrants. They enter our country for a variety of reasons, most of them unpleasant and/or inhumane. And once they are here, they are so thankful for what the US has to offer, they become some of the most patriotic members of our society. Obviously, I cannot speak for every single immigrant, but we cannot let the mistakes of some lead to assumptions about all. Plus, we are descendants of immigrants ourselves, as are most Americans at some point in their history. Our friends and people we love are immigrants. We are the same!

And so are women. Yes, obviously I would have women’s rights on my list of reasons I march in spirit with the Women’s March. Let me start by saying that this is multi-faceted. Some people mean reproductive rights, specifically access to abortion, when they talk about women’s rights. Some people mean equality in the workplace. Some people mean protection from sexual assault and harassment. Some mean equality in much broader ways. I mean it all. When people say they are pro-life/anti-abortion, I would expect to see them working to help others avoid unwanted pregnancies, such as providing easy access to birth control through organizations like Planned Parenthood. But I don’t. I would expect to see them fighting for CHIP (the children’s health insurance program that Republicans in Congress recently voted against). But I don’t. So I will. And Barton, I hope you will. The Affordable Care Act, which Trump is working hard to eliminate, requires employers to provide unpaid breaks for breastfeeding mothers to pump breast milk during the work day. This sort of legislation is needed for equality to exist – because we must address our different needs to truly be equal. We need something as simple as a movement to change the language in everyday life so that the leader of our nation does not excuse blatantly oppressive statements about the ability to grab a woman’s genitals as “locker room talk” but instead points out that language perpetuates violence against women by normalizing the perception of women as property. Excusing small offenses normalizes the culture to allow for the big offenses, and none of it is ok. I hope by the time you read this letter, Barton, that you have learned this from me and your dad in action. I could go on and on about the minutiae of our fight for women in this country. This is just a handful of the things we need our government to step up and support in order to inch toward equality for women.

LGBTQ rights. We cannot allow recent progress to be undone. Marriage equality was just one part of the fight for equality throughout domains of life for people born with different sexual orientations. While I’ve tried to be vocal and active in this fight for many years (a counter-protest to a Fred Phelps Westboro Baptist Church protest in Nashville during college was my first protest), trans rights are a new fight for me. We must accept people for who they are, not how we expect them to be because of the genitalia they had at birth. And we must not allow people to make excuses for intolerance and hate by creating false fears of sexual deviance or molestation.

Support for and trust in science. I have no idea if you will think it is cool that both of your parents have PhDs or horrible because you don’t want to feel pressured to follow in our footsteps. I hope you know there are no expectations that you also become a scientist, but I’m sure you will understand that this issue is an obvious one for me. But it’s not just a selfish plea for the government to continue to fund my research. The private sector invests in research that can lead to quick monetary benefit, but there is much research that we benefit from as a society that will not result in that sort of gain, and thus would not occur without government support. Further, the risk of manipulated results of industry-funded research when there is a clear monetary interest in an outcome is another reason it is so important to have non-biased funding agencies for research. But beyond funding, the new executive branch is dangerously anti-science with regard to its trust for scientific findings. When the overwhelming majority of evidence supports the existence of climate change, the government needs to listen. When the overwhelming majority of evidence supports the safety and huge societal benefit of vaccines, the government must help calm the fears to keep up our herd immunity.

Access to good education. The aforementioned need for history lessons so that we do not repeat our mistakes is one aspect of why this is so important, but it is also important to help level the playing field for those who are born into less fortunate situations – not just academic education, but extracurricular programming in conjunction with strong public schools to support the growth of the whole person. You are seven months old right now and already have a 529 education investment fund.  Most babies in our country don’t. That is a privilege, and you must remember that other people’s paths in life are rougher. We need to help them because when our least privileged members of society can succeed, we all benefit. It can be frustrating when they are portrayed as lazy and “taking handouts” but that is not generally true of those struggling financially.

I know there are more reasons, but I think the other aspect of this movement that started after Trump’s election that really moves me is less political and more emotional. It’s what makes me teary (the happy kind) when I see thousands and thousands of people at marches around the world. It’s that the overarching goal that most of these marchers share is kindness and love toward others. There is anger, of course, and the anger is important. A friend recently shared this quote, “I think from now on, I will not trust anyone who isn’t angry.” –Joanna Russ, “How to Suppress Women’s Writing.” Anger is normal and is what drives this movement forward. But the anger comes from the lack of recognition and kindness evidenced by the most vocal Trump supporters and often by Trump himself. Underneath that anger is love.

And let me also make another note about anger. There are times in a movement when anger will be directed within our group because of past (and at times continued) silence and complacency. That is an important part of this, but we must use the love and kindness aspect of this to get through. A different friend posted this a few days ago, “Interesting, well to me it is. So many thugs, I mean protestors, marchers whatever coming out in support of women and whoever else but but but where were all your fb posts and show up of support for the BLM protests?”  At first, I felt an urge to defend the positive intent of a sudden motivation to take action in light of Trump’s election and inauguration, but in truth, although I agreed with the message of the Black Lives Matter protests and wrote occasional posts in support, I never joined them or loudly honored them anywhere. I must acknowledge those who have been fighting to be heard for much longer than I have. For many of us, Trump’s election was a tipping point where the fear became real enough and disturbing enough to take action, but why weren’t we taking action before? The fear of others has been just as real all along. So yes, I get uncomfortable when I am correctly called out on my silence, but that discomfort stems from the fact that I DO support causes like BLM, and it feels bad to realize that I was wrong to sit idly by in the safety of my home silent. The discomfort is because I WANT to show kindness, but I don’t always do it when or how I should. I have lived with privilege throughout my life – based on my race, my economic status, my educational attainment, etc. This allows me to remain silent whenever it’s inconvenient to speak up. And so I want to make a change by wearing my kindness in a more obvious way and speaking up for those with less privilege whenever I can. I hope, Barton, that by the time you read this letter, those words will be read with a nod and the memories of your mom taking actions to follow through on this. I look forward to the time in the future when I am not thinking about dirty diapers and can join where I am needed to make my voice heard in support of others and these needs we all share. And I hope, Barton, that by the time you read this, you will be doing the same.

Love,
Your momma.

No comments: