11 January 2013

Coffee Table Part 1

Part 1 because I ordered it, but it's being created and won't be here for a few weeks. After months and months of searching and debating and hesitating and wishing I had unlimited funds, I had pretty much set my heart on a Vladimir Kagan sculptural coffee table. Then I saw some Adrian Pearsall tables, and thought maybe that was what I wanted instead. It didn't really matter because both are rare and cost over $1,000. Then I decided that I had a functional frustration with those tables anyway (yes, functional frustration...I just made that up). I liked how my old coffee table had a shelf underneath to stash magazines or coffee table books. The sculptural base tables were just wood with a piece of glass on top. I still love the look, but I wasn't in love enough to justify the cost.

So back to square one, I started some random searches online. My friend Kristen suggested that I talk to artists who make furniture about the style that I like and my desire for a shelf. Perhaps I could just have something made. So I decided to check out Etsy, and I came across a woman in LA who makes industrial style furniture out of salvaged steel. And suddenly the idea of the soft wooden sculptural look was gone. I'm still going glass, but I'm getting a shelf. And I'm getting a completely unique look with a salvaged steel base. Here is the basic idea of the table, but she's customizing it for me so that it will have glass on both top and bottom. It should be here at the end of the month/beginning of next month. I'm so excited! I'll post pictures of the room after it arrives.

For a look at what sorts of tables I had been considering over the last few months, you can see my Living Room Pinterest board.

No comments: