28 September 2011

Fox

I don't watch a lot of TV, but every so often I find myself with random blocks of time to fill. In those times, I watch things on Hulu. So a couple of weeks ago, Fox allowed Hulu to play the pilot of the new Zooey Deschanel show, New Girl, before it even aired on TV. I watched it. I felt "eh" about it, but I sort of like her, so I thought I'd give it one more shot. So tonight I thought, "oh, I'll check out the next episode of that show that I saw 2 weeks ago."

Well, turns out that Fox, despite letting the internet see the pilot episode before it even aired, is now doing this thing where you can't watch something online for 8 DAYS after it airs. Unless you sign in with a Dish account. I get that they're trying to make money, but 8 days? The next episode is going to air before I can watch this one. So...let's say I wasn't doing anything on Tuesday night, when the show regularly airs. I MIGHT watch it when it's on TV, but since I missed this week and they won't let me catch up online, I doubt I'm going to bother... Why not wait 6 days, that way it's still an annoying delay encouraging people to spend money, but allows people to catch up in time to watch the next show when it actually airs. Hell, you could throw in an ad for the real show, saying "hey, if you watch this tomorrow night on TV, you won't have to wait a week!"

Anyway, I'm now complaining about TV, which is a little absurd given the fact that I watch so little of it I don't even have cable. I use an antenna...

(Side note regarding TV: When Mad Men returns in 2012, I will be going to the gym to run/walk on the treadmill with the TV tuned to AMC in order to watch it. I contemplated returning to cable, but paying for one show seemed a little excessive. And this way I have motivation to work-out. Win-win!)

No comments: