24 March 2010

Death at a Funeral (2010) - A Travesty

This is going to be horrible. What will be funny about this movie will be the parts that they did not change from the original.

James Marsden (as judged from the trailer) does a shitty job at the role that Alan Tudyk performed so perfectly. Tudyk was hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried. Take a peek at the trailer for the 2007 version here. Oh yeah, did I mention that? This new movie is a remake of a movie not yet 3 years old.

Part of the hilarity of the original is that it's this uptight, proper family - and then all this crazy shit goes down...at a funeral. So you have solemn event + uptight family + accidental drug use + blackmailing by a little person. The new one takes a funeral in a family that doesn't appear to make anything very solemn, nor appears very uptight at all, add drugs and blackmail...well, doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me, honestly.

So if you've never heard of the original 2007 version of this movie and thought that the trailer for the new version seemed mildly funny, I highly recommend renting the original. Then you can decide for yourself if it's worth your time to watch what appears to me to be a mediocre remake.

(And I'm sorry, I have to say it again - James Marsden does not even hold a candle to Alan Tudyk in this role...)

No comments: